6 months off for bad behaviour
Our school’s IP address was recently banned from editing Wikipedia for 6 months after a spate of nonsense vandalism. This is, of course, fantastic news for me, as for the next 6 months I will be spared the joys of:
- homophobic bullying,
- ridiculous Austin Powers-related explanations for scientific phenomenon,
- professions of cheese-loving,
- entire pages replaced with the text “ngfjerkfnueioanfiuwoancvujwailcnwujeifhnwuierhhahahahahahaha”,
- assertions that someone in Year 11 is a “monkey-fister”,
- and historical re-writes that bring wars from the 1700s crashing into the 20th century.
I always make sure to send a personal thank-you to the admin responsible. They are always more than happy that someone from the school actually cares; apparently, most do not have such a person. My personal record is catching 9 students in a single day. It’s the little things that keep me going, sometimes.